Monday, October 3, 2011

El Museo del Barrio + Day of the Dead = Juan Hinojosa

A few weeks ago I got an email from someone at El Museo asking if I would create an installation for the Mexican holiday called The Day of the Dead.  As a non-Mexican, I was surprised and took it as an opportunity to challenge myself. I was asked to use La Catrina, which is pretty much a life size skeleton, and have her be the focus of the installation I was about to create.  (To read up about the history of La Catrina check out this wikipedialink here) I, like any artist with an iPhone, started to document the process of making this dead woman come alive.   

First step was bringing her home from 105 and 5th ave to Sunnyside, Queens. I had to take the 6 train to the N train and then on the 7train... not the easiest task during the 6pm rush home. La Catrina decided to make some friends on the subway . . .






At first I thought they were going to mug or rape me . . . but unfortunately they were nice and only wanted to pose for pictures. Once in my studio, I hung her up by the neck and started working on her for a number of days.  Plus my BBF stopped by to drink my wine and help me out. Check out the photos…













The finished piece is on display from now till Nov 15th at El Museo delBarrio.  There will be a “Meet the Artist” event in a month or so.  I’ll post more information about that soon.  Checks out La Catrina the next time your uptown. Oh and don’t forget to check out the (S)Files exhibition currently on display… I hear the installation in El CAFÉ is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment